Forum

One-time subscription or ingame purchasable items

Royall
Royall

Game MasterPosts: 295
We really hope to release SamuTale completely free-to-play. But, creating and maintaining the game will cost money. Not only do we have to pay for a server, but we also have to pay artists for their work.

Our main plan is to release a crowdfunding campaign as soon as the game is ready for an alpha release. But if this fails, we need other ideas to cover up the costs.

We would like your opinion on this matter! Options are a one-time subscription after a trial period, in-game purchasable items/boosts/privileges, or a member status for some end-game content.

What do you think? Would you pay a small amount (and how much), or do you think it's OK to buy items and/or privileges in-game?

Let us know!
03 Jun 2014, 00:39Reply
jumpredhhyh
jumpredhhyh

HappyPandacat said:

How about something along the lines of donations as opposed to forcing a subscription?

Also, I have seen games with ingame purchases actually do it right by offering mostly cosmetic and slightly better... Stuff (For example, that mining pick that mines 15% faster than the normal (free) version of it, or that mining pick that never breaks).

I love the idea of small improvements to encourage spending and the importance of it while limiting it to an advantage rather than a game-changer(Such as endurance of items or a special crop that is somewhat faster or has some more food value). I also like the idea of cosmetics, applying that concept to buildings might promote purchases.

10 Nov 2016, 21:21Reply
jumpredhhyh
jumpredhhyh

To balance premium content that improves stats, I've seen some games sucessfully implement willingly watching advertisments to gain premium content if they don't have the money to stay in the upper rank.

10 Nov 2016, 21:40Reply
Braxt
Braxt

Royall said:
We really hope to release SamuTale completely free-to-play. But, creating and maintaining the game will cost money. Not only do we have to pay for a server, but we also have to pay artists for their work.

Our main plan is to release a crowdfunding campaign as soon as the game is ready for an alpha release. But if this fails, we need other ideas to cover up the costs.

We would like your opinion on this matter! Options are a one-time subscription after a trial period, in-game purchasable items/boosts/privileges, or a member status for some end-game content.

What do you think? Would you pay a small amount (and how much), or do you think it's OK to buy items and/or privileges in-game?

Let us know!

I know this is an old thread, but I've always wondered how Guild Wars 1 & 2 does it.  It's a one time payment, and no monthly fee's.  It's the only game I've seen that does this with such success.

10 Oct 2020, 13:55Reply
darncomp
darncomp

My idea for some sort of subscription or "membership" would be requiring a minimum per month spent on cosmetics so that i at least have something in game to show for it.

05 Feb 2021, 07:31Reply
Follow SamuTale
SamuTale YouTube SamuTale Discord SamuTale Facebook SamuTale Twitter SamuTale Instagram