Forum

One-time subscription or ingame purchasable items

Royall
Royall

Game MasterPosts: 295
We really hope to release SamuTale completely free-to-play. But, creating and maintaining the game will cost money. Not only do we have to pay for a server, but we also have to pay artists for their work.

Our main plan is to release a crowdfunding campaign as soon as the game is ready for an alpha release. But if this fails, we need other ideas to cover up the costs.

We would like your opinion on this matter! Options are a one-time subscription after a trial period, in-game purchasable items/boosts/privileges, or a member status for some end-game content.

What do you think? Would you pay a small amount (and how much), or do you think it's OK to buy items and/or privileges in-game?

Let us know!
03 Jun 2014, 00:39Reply
Lore
Lore

Nearly a month later - But better late then never, right?!
Definitely a big NO to in-game purchases such as things that can affect gameplay (EXP boosts, items, in-game currency, etc) I've seen too many iPhone (just generally MMOS) fall into this trap and effectively have destroyed their game and their playerbase.

If you were to add this make it completely for vanity items only (Hats, auras, capes) things that have no impact on gameplay.

From what I've seen so far SamuTale is extremely graphical and things such as vanity items will benefit the game extremely well in the long run as more and more people will purchase limited edition hats basically because they're limited edition (I know I will of course!)
02 Jul 2014, 20:01Reply
Royall
Royall

Game MasterPosts: 295
Lore said:

Nearly a month later - But better late then never, right?!

Definitely a big NO to in-game purchases such as things that can affect gameplay (EXP boosts, items, in-game currency, etc) I've seen too many iPhone (just generally MMOS) fall into this trap and effectively have destroyed their game and their playerbase.

If you were to add this make it completely for vanity items only (Hats, auras, capes) things that have no impact on gameplay.

From what I've seen so far SamuTale is extremely graphical and things such as vanity items will benefit the game extremely well in the long run as more and more people will purchase limited edition hats basically because they're limited edition (I know I will of course!)

Yes, we definitely want to avoid the pay-to-win style gameplay. We already had our thoughts about cosmetic items and we think it will fit the game well indeed.
03 Jul 2014, 12:16Reply
Lore
Lore

Awesome to hear!
03 Jul 2014, 17:36Reply
Lore
Lore

Awesome to hear!
03 Jul 2014, 17:36Reply
Guthix
Guthix

I highly prefer a subscription based system.

17 Aug 2014, 01:15Reply
Follow SamuTale
SamuTale YouTube SamuTale Discord SamuTale Facebook SamuTale Twitter SamuTale Instagram